The Hayabusa Motorbike – Bird That Flies on the Road!!
It is very apt for me to call the motorbike – Hayabusa – as “Bird That Flies on the Road”. What makes me do so is the subject of this paper which is sure to raise your adrenaline to colossal levels. Before proceeding further, it’s quite appropriate here to make my readers remember the popular American television series – Street Hawk. The thirteen episodes of this 1985’s much applauded TV thriller hovered around state of the art motorcycle capable of achieving speeds of over 300 miles per hour. I would now stop talking about any fictitious bike and would take you to a breakthrough in engineering that happened in the year before the arrival of the current millennium.
An Engineering Marvel Unleashed!
Hayabusa is a high-performance motorcycle, developed by Suzuki, which is famous for its immense power. Suzuki Hayabusa is one of the extreme machines to drive on the road, and can be aptly called as the “Rocket on Wheels” because of the astonishingly high speeds that it can attain. First model of this engineering marvel was developed in the year 1999. It broke the ultimate-velocity record of Kawasaki Ninja ZX-11 by achieving the overwhelming speed of 312 km/h or 194 mph (miles per hour). Hayabusa won the honor of the world’s fastest production motorcycle for the year 1999-2000. In order to stop speed genies running amok, a gentlemen’s agreement was signed by the manufacturers to limit the maximum speed achievable to 186 mph (300 km/h). Thus, current maximum speed of Hayabusa, is thus, limited to 186 mph (300 km/h). Hayabusa is acclaimed as the fastest production motorcycle of the 20th century or the fastest production motorcycle of the last millennium.
This motorcycle has been named after a bird – Peregrine falcon (Falco peregrines). In Japanese language, the term “Hayabusa” is used for a peregrine falcon. Peregrine falcon is not only the fastest bird of our planet, but also, the fastest animal currently known on the Earth. It is also one of the world’s most widely distributed birds. The sensational agility and breathtaking high speeds achieved by Falco peregrines, make them as the birds of choice for falconers who train them for hunting other birds. While diving, in order to catch prey, peregrine falcons can attain whopping speeds of more than 200 miles per hour. Like these birds, the Hayabusa super-bike pierces through the air with amazing nimbleness and performance.
The Avant-garde Engine – Powerful Heart of the Beast!
“The motor that powers this sensational machine has to be itself extreme in design and utmost in performance”
This avant-garde engine provides awesome acceleration and delivers mammoth power along with broad torque. The motorbike rider can opt from three different engine settings depending on his or her preferences or riding conditions.
- The 2013 Hayabusa motorbike is powered by a muscular 1340 cc (81.8 cu. in), 4-stroke, liquid-cooled, fuel-injected, in-line, 4-cylinder, DOHC (double overhead camshaft or dual overhead camshaft) engine with 16 valves which is powerful enough to power a big sedan car.
- The engine has forged light-weight aluminum alloy pistons with a compression ratio of 12.5:1; twin swirl combustion chambers; and composite electro-chemical material cylinder plating.
- The light-weight titanium valves help in easy and accurate valve control.
- The spark plugs are made of iridium leading to high combustion efficiency.
- The engine is fed by a meticulously controlled system in order to provide the best combustion efficiency, improved power delivery and a greater linear response. The pulsed-secondary air injection system helps igniting the unburned hydrocarbons. The radiator is curved and two computer-controlled electric fans are fitted on its rear. This offers easy control of engine’s temperature. The advanced idle speed control system helps improve cold starting, and also, assists in maintaining stable engine idle under different conditions.
The Ultimate Sport Bike!
Suzuki calls Hayabusa as the “Ultimate Sport Bike” because of these reasons –
- Hayabusa delivers phenomenal power allowing the rider to reach sensational speeds along with astonishing agility and maneuverability.
- It delivers a sporty, smooth, and joyful ride at any speed.
- It is equally easy to manage on the highways and the city streets; thanks to its low center of gravity. The top-notch features like Antilock Brake System (ABS) lure both the lone high-speed-riders as well as the sober touring couples.
- Hayabusa’s riders boast of its bold and unique design along with the superb body finish as if it’s a masterpiece of art. This fact is an instance of the unparalleled craftsmanship.
- Hayabusa’s body is not only carefully and beautifully sculpted, but is also designed in a radically aerodynamic fashion. This aerodynamically designed motorbike tames the wind in such a manner that it contributes extra power to the bike. Thus, rider enjoys the power of the Hayabusa engine plus the power leveraged from the tamed-wind. The perfectly aerodynamic design affords a unique shape to Hayabusa, improves fuel efficiency, and protects its rider from the impact of wind.
Suzuki Hayabusa, since the time of its inception in the year 1999, has a zealous following around the globe which is continuously growing.