What is Venezuelan Troupial?

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      sharon
      Participant

What is Venezuelan Troupial? What are the subspecies of Icterus icterus? Give the classification of Venezuelan Troupial and the habitat of Icterus icterus.

Reply To What is Venezuelan Troupial?

Definition of Venezuelan Troupial (Icterus icterus)

Venezuelan Troupial (Icterus icterus) is the national bird of Venezuela. Venezuelan Troupial is also known as Common Troupial, or sometimes just as Troupial. Venezuelan Troupials have black and orange-yellow as their primary body colors. Male Venezuelan Troupials are well-noted for their acts of singing

Classification of Venezuelan Troupial (Icterus icterus)

Venezuelan Troupial (Icterus icterus) belongs to the genus Icterus (American Orioles) of the family Icteridae (American Blackbirds or New World Orioles or New World Blackbirds) of the order Passeriformes (perching birds) under the class Aves (birds) of the subphylum Vertebrata (vertebrates) of the phylum Chordata (chordates).

Habitat of Venezuelan Troupial (Icterus icterus)

Venezuealan Troupials inhabit areas with low annual rainfall such as arid woodlands, plains, gallery forests (see, what is a gallery forest?), etc of northern and central South America. Venezuelan Troupials frequently visit the fruit plantations, orchards, and gardens.

Venezuelan Troupials are found in Venezuela, Colombia, Aruba (an island in the Caribbean Sea, north of Venezuela), Bonaire (a small island located in the southern Caribbean Sea), Sint Eustatius / Saint Eustatius (an island, also known as Statia or Stay-sha, in the northern Leeward Islands of the West Indies, southeast of the Virgin Islands), Saba (an island located in the northeastern Caribbean Sea, about 28 miles southwest of the island of Saint Martin / Sint Maarten / St. Maarten), Curaçao (an island in the Caribbean Sea – about 34 miles (55 km) off the coast of Venezuela), Puerto Rico (an island between the Caribbean Sea and the North Atlantic Ocean, east of the Dominican Republic), Trinidad and Tobago (islands between the Caribbean Sea and the North Atlantic Ocean, northeast of Venezuela), Virgin Islands (islands between the Caribbean Sea and the North Atlantic Ocean, east of Puerto Rico), etc.

Subspecies of Venezuelan Troupial (Icterus icterus)

Three subspecies of Venezuelan Troupial (Icterus icterus) are recognized, viz. –

Icterus icterus icterus (I. i. icterus)

Icterus icterus metae (I. i. metae)

Icterus icterus ridgwayi (I. i. ridgwayi)

Also, see related post: Along the Rivers – The Gallery Forests – adidarwinian

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.